RE: Raym Crow on publishing cooperatives

Joe, Peter,

Further to David's point, many acquistions budgets have been flat
for some years.  Ours anyway may well start going down. On-going
expenses to the largest publshers go up - raises low in
percentage but high in dollars.  This leaves fewer dollars for
other purchases.  Unfunded technology infrastructure and staff
costs also eat away at budgets.

Any responsible publisher must surely be putting together a plan
that anticipates a very substantial drop in library
subscriptions.

Why not experiment with hybrid OA?  Commercial ones are. Or move
to the ALPSP or university presses. There are the offers from
publishers promising, as they are on my campus, to double the
price and triple the number of subscriptions - one assumes with
bundled subscriptions.  We can't afford this scenario. ( Not to
mention how mad it makes us.)

Campuses are getting serious about Institutional Repositories and
beginning to incorporate contract language on IR rights, as well
as passing faculty resolutions encouraging or requiring this.

We are tying up the resources of both libraries and scholarly
publishers in delaying tactics - they make it hard for us to put
our articles in and we make it hard for them to say no.

What a waste of effort on the part of two groups, both under
great financial stress, which share the same mission.

On an Open Access model, I can still send you the money - I just
send it up front when the article is accepted.  This saves the
library a great deal of staff and technology costs in
authentication and linking.  And surely might save publisher
costs in the same way.

Best,
Margaret Landesman
Collection Development