Re: Raym Crow on publishing cooperatives

Heather,

It's wonderful to support new models of scholarly publishing, but
as we do that we have to carefully define the "inequities and
inefficiencies" of the system we are proposing to change--and,
perhaps more importantly, add a third problem--the
ineffectiveness of a great deal of scholarly communication.

I am not sure what inefficiency we are addressing. The
traditional system is far more efficient in distribution than
open access would be; those who need particular information
purchase it, vs. a system in which scarce resources are used to
make information available to the 99.9% of people who have no use
for it. But perhaps you instead mean the inefficiency of journal
production, and especially peer review. There's no argument that
peer review is very costly and laborious for the uneven results
it produces. It would be very interesting to explore new
mechanisms, especially in clinical medicine, where alternatives
like real-time open peer review are not appropriate.

The real question for me is effectiveness. Depressing little of
what is published in clinical medicine finds its way into
clinical practice in a timely basis. Information by itself
appears to do little to change provider behavior; that takes
real-time feedback, new reimbursement systems, etc.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
pbanks@bankspub.com