Sent: 13 September, 2006 3:53 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Raym Crow on publishing coopersatives

Interesting -- and unexpected, considering the SPARC connection
-- piece by Raym Crow in the current issue of FirstMonday
(http://firstmonday.org) on setting up publishing cooperatives
designed to make not-for-profit publishers more competitive.  I
know about a foolish consistency is a hobgoblin, etc., but I am
puzzled by what could appear to be a policy shift at SPARC away
from Open Access toward NFP publishing.  Or does Crow not speak
for SPARC?  Beats me. Anyway, here is the abstract:

"Publishing cooperatives - owned, controlled, and benefiting
non-profit publishers - would provide an organizational and
financial structure well suited to balancing society publishers'
twin imperatives of financial sustainability and mission
fulfillment. Market challenges and structural constraints often
render it difficult for small society publishers to compete
individually. Publishing cooperatives would allow society
publishers to remain independent while operating collectively to
overcome both structural and strategic disadvantages and to
address the inefficiencies in the market for academic journals.
Publishing cooperatives can provide a scaleable publishing model
that aligns with the values of the academy while providing a
practical financial framework capable of sustaining society
publishing programs."

Joe Esposito