paying for OA Journal articles

Money will be needed to pay the publishing fees for OA articles,
either in OA Journals or in "Open Choice," i.e.,
OA-by-the-article-journals. Two major sources have been
suggested:  library subscription fees, and the research grants.

If grant sources pay most of this, the library would be able to
buy some of the many important non OA items in all subject
fields--items which they have not been able afford because of the
cumulative price increases in these very same journals--many even
from the same publisher.

Indeed,publishers would be very well situated; to give a specific
example, a library that saved money on Elsevier journals might be
very likely to use some of it for Scopus.

I do not think that any administration would let a library keep
all of this windfall--I think most libraries would be fortunate
to keep even half. But there's a clear advantage in
open-access-by-the-article: the windfall any one year would not
be dramatic. If the total decrease in a subscription budget were
10 or 20% a year, the library would be much more likely to keep
it than if it were 90% in any one year.

David Goodman, Ph.D.

Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library