Ingenta and Blackwell

Of possible interest to readers of liblicense-l.  Ann Okerson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:39:47 -0400
From: Abraham Erin <EAbraham@bos.blackwellpublishing.com>
Subject: Ingenta and Blackwell

Dear Librarian,

I am writing to inform you that from January 1st 2007, the full text of
articles in Blackwell Publishing journals will no longer be hosted on
IngentaConnect.  Libraries wishing to continue to provide online access to
these journals should activate their access on Blackwell Synergy
(http://www.blackwell-synergy.com
<outbind://169-0000000093A90D48311FC2478C7BCB008CDBC11FA4043600/exchweb/
bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/> ).  IngentaConnect
will continue to host the metadata for Blackwell Publishing journals
(including the tables of contents and abstracts) but users wishing to
access the full text (in PDF or HTML format) will be directed to Blackwell
Synergy where their access rights will be validated.  Users whose access
is not validated by Blackwell Synergy will be offered the option to buy
'pay per view' access on IngentaConnect.

Philippa Scoones, Web Publishing Director at Blackwell Publishing,
described the move as an extension of the partnership between Ingenta and
Blackwell.  "We have worked closely with Ingenta for almost ten years and
they have successfully provided access to our journals online to a good
number of library customers.  As we develop our own online journals
platform, Blackwell Synergy, to be the primary source for searching and
linking to Blackwell content, we want to be sure that all our customers
benefit by providing the full text on Synergy".

What Library Administrators Need to Do:

Customers who have not yet activated their account on Blackwell Synergy
should do so before the end of December 2006 in order to ensure a seamless
transition with no loss of access for you or your users.  If you have not
yet received activation instructions, please send an email directly to
Dean.Martin@oxon.blackwellpublishing.com providing the following
information:

*	Your name and email address
*	Your institution's name and addresses of all the main sites
 	covered by your library
*	Your Blackwell Customer ID(s), if you know them
*	List of the Blackwell journals you have a subscription to

We will then send you detailed instructions for activating and
administering your institutional access to subscribed to journals via
Blackwell Synergy.  You should find these instructions easy to follow, but
if not, our customer service team will be available to help with this
transition.  Please email Dean.Martin@oxon.blackwellpublishing.com
directly, or call your nearest Blackwell office: +44 (0) 1865 778315 UK,
+65 6511 8000 Singapore, and 1-800-835-6770 or 1-781-388-8200 for
customers in the Americas.

You do not need to change your links for Blackwell Publishing journals
from IngentaConnect to Blackwell Synergy, although you may find it
preferable to do so.  You will find more information about our OpenURL
resolver here:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/help?context=info_linkingSynergy
<outbind://169-0000000093A90D48311FC2478C7BCB008CDBC11FA4043600/exchweb/
bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/help?context=info_lin
kingSynergy>

About Online Journals from Blackwell Publishing:

All institutional subscriptions to Blackwell Publishing journals include
an element of online access.  For the first time in 2007, standard print
subscriptions will include online access to the current and two previous
years' content, increased from the one year previously offered.  Premium
subscriptions include print plus online access to current content, content
dating back to January 1st 1997, and OnlineEarly articles published online
before print. Online Only subscriptions include the same access rights as
Premium.  Both Premium and Online Only subscriptions include archival
rights to paid-for content.

What Online Access via Blackwell Synergy Offers:

Libraries which provide online access to Blackwell journals through
Blackwell Synergy are offering the optimum service for their patrons. For
example, OnlineEarly content (now available for 250 journals) is only
provided on Blackwell Synergy.  Your users will also have access to a
highly linked feature-rich research environment where the articles are
available in both full-text HTML as well as PDF versions, rather than just
the PDF available on other platforms.  In addition it is only on Blackwell
Synergy that your users will be able to access Online Open author-pays
articles as they are published.

  - Blackwell Synergy features for researchers:

*	Customized homepage with favorite journals and articles
*	CrossRef linking taking readers immediately to cited articles in
 	other publishers' journals using DOIs
*	Links taking readers to and from abstracts in ISI Web of Science
 	and other abstracting and indexing databases:  Blackwell has
 	electronic links with over 200 A+I databases
*	Forward links to articles that cite the article being read, not
 	just in Synergy but in other publishers' journals via CrossRef
*	Links within articles (e.g. from text citation to reference
 	lists, figures, and tables)
*	Search: Searching options include a simple search, advanced
 	search, article-level search, CrossRef searches and Saved Search.
*	Email alerts: tables of contents, research alerts for new
 	articles matching user's search criteria, citation alerts, and
 	OnlineEarly alerts
*	All types of alerts are also available as RSS or Atom newsfeeds
 	without the need to register on Synergy.
*	Article references downloadable into reference management
 	software including EndNote, BibTex, ProCite, Reference Manager
 	and RefWorks
*	Ability to purchase individual articles using pay-per-view if
 	the user's library does not subscribe

Blackwell Synergy will relaunch with a new look at the beginning of 2007. More
information will follow.

- Blackwell Synergy features for librarians:

*	Daily updated COUNTER-compliant usage data, available in .txt,
 	.htm, and XML formats
*	Self-service IP and remote username and password administration
*	Single sign-on Athens access
*	Easy OPAC integration with a downloadable SFX-compatible
 	holdings file and permanent urls at journal and article levels
*	Marc21 records available to download
*	OpenURL linking supported
*	Upload the library's logo to appear on every page of the site
*	Z39.50 compliance

To keep up-to-date on the latest developments with Blackwell Synergy and the
journals from Blackwell Publishing, please sign up for our regular Librarians'
Newsletter by visiting: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/librarians/

Best wishes,

Erin Abraham sent on behalf of Account Manager Steve Fallon

Erin Abraham
Journal Sales Coordinator
Blackwell Publishing
350 Main Street