The acquisition of open access research articles (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:16:50 +1000
From: Arthur Sale <ahjs AT ozemail.com.au>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM AT LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: The acquisition of open access research articles

Apologies for cross-posting.

I have just finalized and submitted a new paper to a journal on
how authors upload their papers in universities with mandatory
deposit policies. Amongst the significant findings is that by six
months after publication date, >80% of authors have already
deposited. Also it seems to take 2-3 years for a university
mandatory policy to become fully institutionalized, though the
process is almost instant with departmental mandates. The data is
drawn from [1] my own university [University of Tasmania], [2]
Queensland University of Technology in Australia, and [3] the
University of Southampton in the UK.

I've uploaded [the preprint] to the UTas ePrints repository at

http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000375/ should you
wish to read it or refer others to it.

Arthur Sale
University of Tasmania
Australia
---------- end Forwarded message ----------

Recent related papers by Prof. Arthur Sale:

Sale, Arthur (2006) Researchers and institutional repositories,
in Jacobs, Neil, Eds. Open Access: Key Strategic, Technical and Economic
Aspects, chapter 9, pages 87-100. Chandos Publishing (Oxford) Limited.
http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000257/

Sale, Arthur (2006) Comparison of IR content
policies in Australia.  First Monday 11(4).
http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000264/

Sale, Arthur (2006) The impact of mandatory
policies on ETD acquisition.  D-Lib Magazine 12(4).
http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000267/

Sale, Arthur (2006) Generic Risk Analysis - Open Access for your
institution. Technical Report, School of Computing, University of
Tasmania.   http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000266/

Sale, (2006) Maximizing the research impact of your publications.
Technical Report, School of Computing, University of Tasmania.
http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/archive/00000279/

####