Re: Heads up: Nature license and confidentiality

I normally just lurk around on the list but this issue is
important enough in my opinion that I wanted to share my 2 cents.
"It seems to me that we'd better all decide that we're not going
to agree." - I hope so! As a representative for a public
institution, I can not be a part of any "secret" deals and I
don't & won't. I'm curious about the reasons that the vendors
want their pricing kept secret. We already know that we don't all
pay the price, so what are they protecting?

Peggy S. Cooper
Coordinator of Collection Development
Associate Professor
Albertsons Library
Boise State University
Boise, ID  83725-1430
pcooper@boisestate.edu

>>> "Rick Anderson" <rickand@unr.edu> 8/23/2006 5:24 PM >>>

Nature recently announced
(http://www.nature.com/press_releases/NPG_opens_archives.pdf) a
sort of modified open access to its archival content.  However,
there's a catch: they're now asking us to sign a new version of
the license agreement for our 2007 renewals, in order (as my new
sales rep put it) "to guarantee that you have access if you need
to cancel."

Most of the new license language is okay, but they now apparently
want confidentiality for pricing and license terms.  If we agree,
that could spell the end of public discussion of Nature's pricing
practices.  It seems to me that we'd better all decide that we're
not going to agree.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition