From buying to producing (transitioning to open access)

The next post in my Transitioning to Open Access, From Buying to
Producing, can be found in the Imaginary Journal of Poetic
Economics.

One thought which Liblicense readers might appreciate: more and
more funding agencies are requiring open access to the results of
research they fund, and many are contributing to processing fees
for open access.  More and more traditional publishers are
providing the option of paying for open access.

Publishers, why not plan for success, and lower subscription fees
NOW, in anticipation of this new revenue stream?  If libraries
had relief from ever-increasing subscription fees, it would be so
much easier to provide support for open access.

My hypothesis is that this approach - reducing fees in
anticipation of open access processing fees revenue - will be
most effective when combined with library or consortial-specific
incentives.  For details, see my blogpost at:
http://tinyurl.com/g4qkh

Heather G. Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com
http://oalibrarian.blogspot.com