RE: Using databases for data mining research

I should clarify:

My point was that for articles distributed under a Creative
Commons license, you are explicitly granted rights, and do not
have to ask for permission *in relation to the rights granted to
you by that license*.  It is quite true that what exactly those
rights depends on the specific version of the license.

All versions of the creative commons license allow non-commercial
use and redistribution (as long as attribution is preserved) -
and this is sufficient for academic textmining.

Versions of the Creative Commons do exist which selectively restrict:
(a) whether people are allowed to distribute *derivative* works
and/or
(b) whether *commercial* reuse is allowed.

BioMed Central and PLoS in fact both use the most liberal
'Attribution license', explicitly allowing both derivative works
and commercial use: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

The key thing about Creative Commons mechanism is that it allows
content creators to be selective about the limitations they put
on the use of their content.

Rather than 'all rights reserved', the Creative Commons tagline is 'some
rights reserved'.

Matt