RE: OA monographs

Apologies for adding to this so late, but I've been blissfully
off-line on a disc-golfing farm (seriously!).

It depends a little on what you mean by 'monograph', but if it
means a book-length scholarly work then I know of lots that are
author posted on freely accessible websites. They don't come from
the mainstream publishers, nor from the usual NFP houses
(university presses et al), but from international organisations
like the UN, World Bank, IMF, EU et al. You'll find their
websites have lots of author-posted freely available book-length
scholarly works.

The fact that these organisations can afford to put them there is
because the taxpayer funding is available to not only do the
research and write the book, but to pay for its publishing as
well. This doesn't mean everything in the garden is rosy. I know
of one international organisation's publishing arm that ran out
of money following an instruction from on high to put their books
out for free online. They had to go cap-in-hand back to their
bosses (which means, in the end, the taxpayer) to get an
increased budget to pay their bills because their income from
publication sales collapsed as a result of this policy change.

At OECD, when the funding is provided to pay for publishing we
make our books availably freely online. The costs involved are,
of course, much higher than for journal articles, making it a
considerable item on the budget line for any research project. I
would estimate that no more than 10% of our books have this
financing available. Internally, there is a never-ending debate
about putting our books out for free on the website. In fact the
debate is largely pointless - the bottom line is financial. If
the budgets were there to pay for the costs of publishing, then
they would be freely available. Until these budgets arrive we
will have to charge subscription fees for online access so we can
pay our publishing bills. And I'm sure this is the same challenge
faced by all monograph book publishers.

In the monograph world, there is another difference from
journals. It is possible to make sections (or more) of a book
freely available without destroying a book's financial viability.
Examples include Amazon's 'Read inside the book' and Google
Books. National Academies Press (NAP) go a step further and made
a big splash during the Dot.com era when they made their books
'free' online, and they still offer free access to most of their
titles (the caveat being that free access is not very
reader-friendly, to get a reader-friendly e-book you have to
pay). At OECD we offer a free 'Browse_it' service that allows
visitors to our online bookshop read the full text of most of our
books online, but they can't print or copy/paste - very similar,
in fact, to NAP's policy. Would this count as some form of OA?

Toby Green
Head of Dissemination and Marketing
OECD Publishing
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
http://www.oecd.org/Bookshop
http://www.SourceOECD.org  - our award-winning e-library
http://www.oecd.org/OECDdirect  - our new title alerting service