University presses?

When I recently tried to seek publisher for conference
proceedings I found that the few University Presses I spoke to
were, in fact, separate and distinct from the eponymous
university.  In particular, the SUNY Press did not have any sense
that helping a SUNY project was part of their mission.

I did not look into this but is this generally true?  Are most university
presses now separate from the university?

Richard D. Feinman, Co-editor-in-chief
Nutrition & Metabolism ( http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/home )

"Joseph Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
08/04/06 05:48 PM
Please respond to liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Re: GWLA letter

It should be noted that universities do not need to create,
because they already have, "university-based, stable,
long-lasting, low-cost alternatives . . . that challenge the
current barrier to dissemination of knowledge." They are called
university presses.  I may be alone in this, but I found it
grimly ironic that many universities are calling for a new regime
in scholarly communications even as they systematically starve
their presses to death.

Joe Esposito