Re: Using databases for data mining research

Well, open access vendors generally explicitly allow it and actively encourage it. Tthat's a key benefit of full open access under a creative commons license - you don't have to ask for permission, it is explicitly granted.

e.g. see
http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/about/datamining

As for non-open access vendors - you're really at their mercy.
From what I hear, some are reasonably willing (as long as you
agree to abide by their rules - typically no-commercial use and no redistribution), some less so.

Matt