Re: GWLA letter

It should be noted that universities do not need to create,
because they already have, "university-based, stable,
long-lasting, low-cost alternatives . . . that challenge the
current barrier to dissemination of knowledge." They are called
university presses.  I may be alone in this, but I found it
grimly ironic that many universities are calling for a new regime
in scholarly communications even as they systematically starve
their presses to death.

Joe Esposito