Using databases for data mining research

I was recently contacted by an academic researcher who would like
to make use of electronic resources for data and/or text mining
research. It would involve downloading large quantities of the
vendor's data. I am not sure if they have a specific resource in
mind yet and it's not yet clear to me what the research entails
(the researcher contacted me right before leaving on vacation).

The researcher is unsure of how to approach a vendor with a
proposal like this, and asked me for advice. I know UC-Irvine
recently announced the results of a text mining project they did
using data from the New York Times. How common is something of
this nature, and do vendors generally comply with such requests?

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan