Re: Central site for IR

No quarrel with the distributed repository idea, but let's not
put all the search eggs in Google's basket. Google is wonderful
for what it is wonderful at, but it is not nearly as good for
professional and scientific information.  Google is a keyword
search engine with an outstanding method for ranking results
(PageRank).  PageRank analyzes links between sites. This is great
when there ARE links, but academic papers can be both relevant
and important without any links whatsoever.  Google can't help
much here (though it will find the key words).

It's easy to forget that Google is all of 8 years old.  With the
amount of research going into search now, Google may have
disappeared from our memories before it turns 16.

Joe Esposito