Apply now - Institute on Scholarly Communication

"Thank you for an energizing, inspiring, thought-provoking
Institute! Objectives met and exceeded!"

"Every activity was unique and invigorating - the speakers were
knowledgeable, and everything was focused on practical
suggestions. I feel more prepared - more knowledgeable - more
ready to work on these issues."

"I really liked that the exercises raised so many questions. They
really got our team thinking. The best thing about the Institute
was the way it fostered questioning, thinking, discussions."

"I very much applaud this institute! ... truly a great way to
help faculty and administrators."

"We learned, we laughed, we had fun, and we have a plan of
action."

--participants in July 2006 Institute on Scholarly Communication

Apply now for the second ARL/ACRL Institute on Scholarly
Communication December 6-8, 2006, at Duke University, Durham, NC.
The deadline for application is August 15, 2006. Acceptance to
the Scholarly Communication program is competitive and limited to
100 individuals.

This jointly sponsored institute offers tools and techniques to
build a scholarly communication program or move an existing one
to the next level. Participants will assess their campus
environment before the institute and engage in 2=BD intensive days
of active learning. During the institute, participants will
develop customized program plan components to implement at their
home institutions. The Institute sponsors are seeking
participation from a wide range of academic libraries from
community colleges to research institutions. Larger institutions
are encouraged to propose teams that reflect various
institutional perspectives, such as librarians, library
administrators, faculty, and campus administrators.

The Friends of the ACRL are supporting 4 scholarships to cover
the $600 registration fee for the institute. Scholarships will be
awarded to individuals from diverse backgrounds and those
employed at smaller institutions or serving professionally
underrepresented minorities.

Complete details about the program as well as the online
application form and instructions can be found at
www.ala.org/acrl/events (Click 'ACRL/ARL Institute on Scholarly
Communication') or http://www.arl.org/osc/institutes/isc/dec06.html Applicants can
direct questions concerning the program or application process to
Kara Malenfant at 312-280-2510; kmalenfant@ala.org or Karla Hahn
at 202-296-2296; karla@arl.org.

________

ACRL is a division of the American Library Association (ALA),
representing more than 13,000 academic and research librarians
and interested individuals. ACRL is the only individual
membership organization in North America that develops programs,
products and services to meet the unique needs of academic and
research librarians. Its initiatives enable the higher education
community to understand the role that academic libraries play in
the teaching, learning and research environments.

ARL is an association of over 120 of the largest research
libraries in North America. The member institutions serve over
160,000 faculty researchers and scholars and more than 4 million
students in the U.S. and Canada. ARL's mission is to influence
the changing environment of scholarly communication and the
public policies that affect research libraries and the
communities they serve. ARL pursues this mission by advancing the
goals of its member research libraries, providing leadership in
public and information policy to the scholarly and higher
education communities, fostering the exchange of ideas and
expertise, and shaping a future environment that leverages its
interests with those of allied organizations.

####
---2071850956-1838211229-1154470594=:11530--