Re: Central site for IR

I am not sure why this would be a good thing.

For searching? Actually, Google Scholar does quite a robust job
of finding the different postings of papers.

For preservation? Generally it is better NOT to have articles in
only one location--like, say, the NIH, which is run by government
with huge deficits and no stable long-term vision, subject to the
whims of whatever administration or Congress is in power at any
particular time. (Not to mention its location in a city with
perhaps the highest risk of cyber- or other terrorism of anyplace
on Earth).

Although I think we have not sufficiently considered the problems
raised by institutional repositories (tracking usage of
distributed documents, keeping tabs on versioning, accuracy of
post-prints in sensitive fields like medicine, etc.), the idea of
having one central IR may pose even more difficulties than the
system Dr. Harnad advocates.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services