Sent: 28 July 2006 00:36
To: Liblicense
Subject: Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors

Maybe we need more information about the actual size of the access problem. Publishers tend, I think, to report fairly low levels of 'turnaways' - those who try to access full text but can't. If any publishers reading this can contribute figures, that would be useful.

A very, very small percentage of accesses to BMJ's free research articles are from patients and the general public; see http://miranda.ingentaconnect.com/vl=6377737/cl=15/tt=885/ini=alpsp/nw=1/fm= docpdf/rpsv/cw/alpsp/09531513/v16n3/s1/p163.

In OUP's recent study of NAR (http://www.oxfordjournals.org/news/oa_report.pdf) only eight to twelve percent of increased access was attributable to its going OA; far, far more was due to opening up to search engine crawlers.

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
Email: sally.morris@alpsp.org