RE: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors

May I quote from the report that Sally mentions of OUP's journal
Nucleic Acids Research?  On page 113 the three effects of open
access are listed:

'What then did OA actually deliver? Firstly, it contributed to an
additional increase in usage of around 7-8%. Secondly, it saw a
switch of use from abstracts to full-text. Thirdly, it led to a
significant increase in the usage of newer articles - material
that had previously been embargoed.'

So, moving to open access increased usage by 8% (which is not the
same as saying that 8% of the increase came from open access!)
and user behaviour changed as now they were able to access the
full text.

It is also noted that the archive (material over 6 months) was
already freely available so the 8% increase in usage came about
from opening up 2% of the total number of articles on the site.

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe