RE: Subscription to Open Access Transition

Joe

Well, in this case there ain't no global warming - yet!  We have
a proposed mechanism (as the proportion of free material
approaches 100% there will be a fall in subscriptions) but to
date the evidence - unfortunately only in one subject area -
shows that hasn't happened.  Thoughtful people with experience in
the field might find that odd, but it's true and so I'm afraid
people will continue to talk about it.  They will also point out
that the melting subscriptions we have seen over the past two
decades have had nothing at all to do with self-archiving.

Now, does that mean that sensible publishers shouldn't worry?
No, of course not.  As you say, they have a responsibility to
model potential futures and changes in the publishing environment
and to take action based on what they see is the most likely
direction of change.  If I were still a publisher I would be
looking to move my journals to open access as soon as I could as
I think the open access business models offer a stronger
long-term future than subscription models.  But I would hope that
I would base my decisions on evidence as well as experience.

David