From: "Joseph Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: Errors in author's versions

Two separate points under discussion here, no? First is the question of whether publishers add value through one aspect of the editing process, sometimes and incorrectly called copy-editing. This is the editing that takes place AFTER a manuscript is accepted for publication. While this debate has been raging, I wandered over to my wife's desk, where she, a medical editor, spends the day reworking obscure language, sometimes rewriting paragraphs and often entire articles, checking and formatting citations, checking Web links, etc. This material routinely goes back and forth between editor and author until a final version is produced. When I told her that many people question the editorial value that a publisher brings to STM articles, she looked up at me as though to say, "You must be kidding!" This is Anthony's point, and it is correct.

Now there is the question of whether there are significant errors in OA material that does not exist in the authorized version of the same material as made available from the publisher. Trick question. Which version of the editing ultimately appears in an OA repository? If the first, boy! I hope my doctor isn't working from that. The second? Still risky. The third? Sorry, but I am cautious about this kind of thing. It's the final, except for being rendered as a PDF (typically from a Microsoft Word file). Well, that's okay, though how do I know that?

I personally am not aware of any harm that has come to a patient at the hands of a doctor who worked with an OA copy of an article where there was a materially corrected version available from a publisher. This is David's point, and it is correct.

The difficult question is, What would happen if the OA article were entirely unedited? If the publisher doesn't continue to carry the cost of this work, who will? OA thus depends on a vibrant *and profitable* publishing sector to secure the quality of even OA repositories. We can say that publications cost too much, that some publishers are pigs, that not all authors require the same amount of editorial attention, and so on, but don't say that publishers do not add value. It's simply not so.

Joe Esposito