RE: Publishers and the doctrine of Good Works

I know that this is not exactly what Joe meant, but:

For a publisher, OA is indeed a detraction, and they should get
it done and over with, so they can concentrate on improving good
journals.

Similarly for a library. Our real job is not to negotiate
contracts or arrange for complicated means of access, or deal
with moving the money around within a university. It's helping
the users find what they need.

At present, that means primarily helping them find a place where
they can get to a copy of an article. We've gotten skilled at it,
but we should instead be helping more users figure out what they
need, and then getting it should be trivial.

We are prepared to deal with publishers efforts to push their
titles, even at the expense of others. That's what selectors do.
We resent having to deal with the same publisher's efforts to
restrict dissemination of his titles.

Dr. David Goodman = "we" Associate Professor Palmer School of
Library and Information Science Long Island University

dgoodman@liu.edu
dgoodman@princeton.edu