RE: Print-Only Subscription Trend

> Kim Steinle wrote:

<snip>

> Are librarians intentionally selecting print-only? Or, is this
> a default that the agent is selecting? We are concerned that
> libraries are inadvertently losing electronic access. I would
> be curious as to know why so many libraries are choosing
> print-only.

With apologies for the late reply, but I didn't see any responses
with this type of situation (ours):

A special (federal government department) library with several
locations across the country has moved from local site licensing
to enterprise-wide multi-site licenses for selected electronic
journals. Print subscriptions are still purchased locally, and
one or more of the local sites have chosen to continue their
print subscriptions to some of the e-journals being licensed .
They would then purchase the 'print only' subscription. (And as
was mentioned by somebody earlier, some publishers insist that
the organization maintain at least one print subscription when
licensing the electronic version enterprise-wide).

Hope that helps,

Christine McCutcheon
Systems and Services Librarian
Environment Canada