Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:16 PM
To: dgoodman@Princeton.EDU; liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing
errors

I am sorry but this is just not correct. Building models of how
much publishers contribute to the information chain is not helped
by inaccurate statements. Expenses are expenses and honoraria are
something different - as the tax authorities recognise. Let us
call them fees if that is clearer.

I can imnmediately think of a clinical journal where the
publisher fee explicitly buys the time which would otherwise be
spent earning from private practice. Quite a number of editors of
journals retire early because the income from the journal (the
honorarium) enables them to live in comfort while drawing their
pension. This is not a practice that publishers should encourage
but it does happen - quite a lot.

I am reviewing journals that fit these specifications in my mind
as I write but it is impossible to go into any more detail
because any specific information even if disguised might be
recognised and these matters are highly sensitive. I am of course
aware that David Goodman is serving all of us in trying to tease
out these questions, which is why his initial statement surprised
me.

Anthony Watkinson