Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors

When it comes to medical journals, at least, Anthony is quite
correct.

Although honoraria (modest stipends not meant as a courtesy and
not to compensate for the editor's professional time) still
exist, it is increasingly common for the publisher to pay salary
support for an editor. Medical schools generally do not allow
faculty to work on journals uncompensated. They expect to be paid
for time that the editor would otherwise have available to see
patients or conduct research.

What David describes may still exist in basic sciences and other
fields; in medical publishing, the practice of allowing faculty
to work uncompensated is long gone. The new motto is: Show me the
money.  Peter Banks