Re: Errors in author's versions

It occurred to me recently that one of the key differences between a post-print and a publisher version is going to be the page numbers. An author version will probably assume the first page as "1" (assuming they have put page numbers on at all), whereas the publisher version will use the numbers in sequence with the rest of the issue or volume. The publisher version may also insert the page breaks at different points, or use smaller fonts, double columns etc to fit more in. Further complicating this is the potential for a Word document (if that is what is stored in a repository) to have its page numbers changed by the act of being downloaded - the reader may choose a different font, paper size, margin setting (often without realising), which would further skew the pagination.

This is not an "error" of course, but it has the potential of making tracking the source of citations even trickier, as what is the correct page number on one version, could be quite different on another.

--
David Groenewegen
ARROW Project Manager

Cliff Morgan wrote:

David Goodman wrote: "perhaps all the controversy is obsolete about what version to deposit, and all the discussion about exactly what name to use for what version."

The published version may well differ considerably from the author's accepted manuscript (known in SHERPA/RoMEO terminology somewhat counterintuitively as the "post-print"). Sometimes the variations are fairly trivial (e.g. conformance to journal house style) but they can certainly go as far as substantive editing, especially if the author is a non-native speaker. Both Lisa Dittrich and Peter Banks have made this point - that you can make no general pronouncements about whether subsequent versions differ significantly or not: sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, depending on the state of the author's manuscript. There's no point in saying that the published version *never* differs significantly nor that it *always* differs significantly: the point is that it *probably* differs in some way, and *may* differ profoundly.

I have been a copy-editor; I have trained copy-editors; and I have commissioned freelance copy-editors. I have rarely known a manuscript to require no copy-editing, even if it's just the reference list that needs styling. Many manuscripts have typos or grammatical errors, and it is not uncommon to have figures mentioned but not included, inconsistencies between reference citations in the text and the details in the reference list, etc. Increasingly, copy-editors are tagging information within the text (such as grant numbers) that can be included in the XML file to enrich the metadata.

Any copy-editor will be able to tell you authors' errors that they corrected that clearly improved the manuscript and prevented embarrassment. (I've had an author write "80 PAs" instead of "ATPase", and another refer to the well-known war poet "Winifred Owen".) Do you really think that publishers would pay for copy-editing if it didn't make any difference? (I know that there are some publishers who do not make this investment. Caveat lector.)

Identifying versions does matter because versions do vary, and using unambiguous terms to identify the different versions is useful because it is not always clear what is meant when people use terms such as "final edited version", for example.

I am the Chair of the NISO/ALPSP Working Group on Versions of Journal Articles (see http://www.niso.org/committees/Journal_versioning/JournalVer_comm.html); David is a member of the Review Group and he will know that the Technical WG has made recommendations on terminology and definitions. We are currently reviewing the comments made by the Review group.

Other good work in this area is being done by the VERSIONS project (see http://www.lse.ac.uk/library/versions/).

There is also a scoping study on repository version
identification called RIVER - see
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/RIVER%20Final%20Report.pdf

These projects are clear in their view that identifying versions
matters - although we may not all agree on the terminology and
the granularity, we do agree on the principle of differentiation.

The PMC distinctions remain pertinent.

Cliff Morgan
Chair NISO/ALPSP WG on JAV
____________________________

David goodman wrote:

I appreciate Peter's mentioning this, for I have only with
considerable effort found enough to study.

Given our observations that such author-copy pre- or postprints
rarely occur (at least in some subjects), perhaps all the
controversy is obsolete about what version to deposit, and all
the discussion about exactly what name to use for what version.

Peter, I gather then that you agree that such distinctions as in
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/about/authorms.html

"The final manuscript supplied to PMC is the version that the
journal accepted for publication, including any revisions that
the author made during the peer review process. The published
version of the article usually includes additional changes made
by the journal's editorial staff after acceptance of the author's
final manuscript. These edits may be limited to matters of style
and format or they could include more substantive changes made
with the concurrence of the author."

are no longer pertinent.

It would be very encouraging to see at least one of the OA
controversial points finally resolved.

Dr. David Goodman
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu