Re: Chicago Journals 2007 subscription rates now available

Are we alone in seeing a problem with this announcement? This is
the only case I know of a scholarly publisher that introduces
tiered pricing and e-only access without offering libraries
perpetual access to licensed and paid-for content.

The sales division was not very helpful in providing
explanations.

When I pointed out that the press release at
<http://www.portico.org/news/050506.html> only says that UCP has
an agreement with Portico for only 4 titles so far and that it
does not even mention that this agreement covers also the
provision of perpetual access to previously paid for content of
lapsed subscriptions, I received the following terse unsigned
response:

"As I mentioned, access to our backfile requires a current
subscription.  We do not offer perpetual access as you are
defining it.

The information I shared about Portico and what has been posted
on our website is all we can share right now.  I'm sorry that you
feel it does not answer your question.  We update our web pages
regularly, so I would encourage you to check back in the coming
weeks."

At Stuttgart University we will stay for now with the still
available offer to continue Subscriptions at a non-tiered price
in the print-plus-electronic format (according to UCP, Electronic
access is included without a geographic restriction, but with a
usage concurrency of one, which will be enough for all our UCP
titles).

Best regards,
Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library