Re: Response to Janellyn Kleiner

I am in discussions with a large institution about this very
matter right now.  If you think your organization, or any other,
would like to participate in this, please contact me offline
(espositoj@gmail.com).

Having said this, bear in mind that it is not the publishers who
force up the prices, but the faculty.  It is faculty that
requests samples that they don't want, faculty that sells samples
to used book wholesalers, faculty that demands electronic study
material to supplement hardcopy texts, faculty that has resisted
the switch to ebooks, faculty that demands "fresh" copyright
dates (thereby driving up plant costs), and faculty that adopts
texts without regard to their prices.  All faculty?  Of course
not, but when college publishers gather, they talk of their
frustration with a system whose costs they cannot control.  No
one wants a calculus text to cost $150.

Joe Esposito