Re: Response to Janellyn Kleiner

Response to all --- I have been out of the office since Monday
p.m., July 10, with health problems. That is why I haven't
responded to anyone's comments. I'm only in the office briefly
this a.m. to take care of some budget matters. i.e. this may be
the only response that I send, at least for the next few days.

Yes, I'm talking about STM publishing and primarily STM journals
though the twist some of the high end STM publishers are putting
to monographs sales is quite interesting. When STM publishers pay
their top executives annual salaries in the millions, I'd say
there are substantial profits being made. I'm not criticizing
this because that is good business for the publisher(s) -- very
good business. That may be limited to one publisher. I haven't
investigated the others and probably would be unable to do so.

As for energy, even tho Enron struck a blow to it, I think energy
is still good for awhile -- at least as long as the Republicans
control things. Real estate -- and I had a license for many years
to avoid paying fees on some of my own investments -- that's very
questionable. It's due for a bust so don't your money their.

If I had money free to invest now, I would definitely want to put
it in at least one STM company that I know of. Publishing is like
any other business. It needs top business minds and a little luck
to keep those profits coming.

Jane Kleiner
Associate Dean of Libraries for Collection Services
The LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: 225-578-2217
Fax: 225-578-6825
E-Mail: jkleiner@lsu.edu

"Joseph J. Esposito" <espositoj@gmail.com>@lists.yale.edu on 07/11/2006
08:04:33 PM
To:    <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>

Subject:    Response to Janellyn Kleiner

>I'd just like some answers that may blow holes in my current
>opinion that scholarly publishing is the most profitable venture
>going in the world of publishing.

JE:  Well, it all depends on what you mean by publishing.
Scholarly monograph publishing mostly operates at a deficit.
Many, probably, most research journals lose money.  College
textbook publishing is still highly profitable, but its future is
behind it.  School publishing is profitable for the big guys
(only 4 left).  Trade publishing is unspeakable from a business
point of view.  But you probably mean STM journals.  This is a
highly profitable niche, but its success is relative to the
otherwise truly dismal performance of other publishing segments.
If you are looking for money, go into energy or real estate. Only
a fool would invest in publishing nowadays.

Joe Esposito