Publishers and the doctrine of Good Works

We have had a number of interesting posts on this list over the last couple weeks concerning just what it is that a publisher does that adds value to scholarly communications. In my view, the comments supportive of publishers were by and large accurate and fairly framed. One theme, however, caught my attention, namely, that publishers exercise a gateway function and thus ensure that the quality of published work is high. While this is true, the comment must be placed in context.

Let us imagine, then, a scheme by which publishers act in a coordinated manner to improve the quality of academic journals. They do this by instituting across-the-board price increases of 20%. (The Department of Justice does not look into this because it is absorbed in the investigation of scholarships granted on the basis of need instead of merit.) Libraries, whose budgets are flat, therefore must cancel subscriptions. Approximately 20% of the journals must go. Since librarians wish to collect the finest work, it is journals of lower quality that get cut. Therefore, in one stroke the publishers have improved the quality of the subscribed journals by 20%.

I trust no one would find this to be a satisfactory outcome, except perhaps for those lucky publishers who somehow escape the cuts. Yet it is an example of a gatekeeper function at work.

The fact is that we don't want to improve the average quality of journals; we want to lower it. This is because "lower" does not mean "poor." A graduate of the 60th ranked college or university may regret not having attended #1 or #3, but is likely to feel pleased to have done better than #100 or not to have attended college at all. The problem with the publishers' gatekeeper perspective is that it is entirely self-serving. Raising quality is not the issue; expanding quantity is, providing that expansion is within a certain range of quality, a range that is substantially lower than the current subscription base.

Paradoxically, the Public Library of Science is one of the few organizations that operates on this principle, though inadvertently. PLoS publishes the highest-quality material, all of which would have found a home in other publications. If PLoS did not have an Open Access model, librarians would have had to pay for that high-quality material. As it is, however, the PLoS OA strategy makes room in the budget for material of lower quality--but lower is not poor. It is intriguing to speculate whether the Moore Foundation would have funded PLoS under the banner, We Strive to Lower the Quality of Scientific Publishing!

My 20%-increase scenario has this unfortunate characteristic: it is precisely what is going on in the real world, though stretched over a few years. There are many defenses of the publishing industry, but publishers should get off their high horse about being the guardians of quality. It is possible for a college to be Too Selective.

Joe Esposito