RE: Print-Only Subscription Trend

Hi,

Whilst I am sure that some librarians did select print only, I'm
pretty sure that a significant number are due to former
print/online subscriptions defaulting back to print only, so if
no action is taken by the librarian at renewal time to specify to
the agent which of the new format options is wanted one ends up
with print by default. From my own experience in the past few
years I know of several publishers who have found they've had a
similar problem to the one that you describe. There are always
some problems with renewals when a publisher changes their
pricing policy. It may be worth contacting your subscribers to
see if renewing as print was their original intention.

Takeover titles create additional problems. We have an
interesting case with our one Duke University subscription,
Philosophical Review. This was new to DUP this year, however at
present it is a delayed publication and we haven't yet paid for
2006. I notice that this title is still not on the Duke Journals
site so at the moment there is nothing we can do to gain access.
I presume that even if the backfiles were loaded for this title
onto Highwire, we would still find ourselves unable to access it
because we wouldn't be able to have a current print/online or
online only subscription due to the publication being delayed and
our subscription being a print only subscription (although we
have accessed this title through POEISIS - will that still
remain?). At least we are now aware that this title is published
by DUP, and that your pricing policy changed from 2006.

We've had many occasions just this year when publishers have
changed their pricing policy like you and in some cases we were
not aware of it at the point we do journal renewals. We try our
best to keep up to date with all the changes that publisher make
to their subscription options, but it's an impossible task at
time with so much fluidity in the journal market. It may take a
while before we are aware of the change and can take steps to
correct it.  The journal renewals season isn't like it used to
be. In the print only days the instruction was simple renew or
cancel. It is getting incredibly hard to keep up to date with all
the changes going on especially when you could be dealing with
several hundred publishers all of who are doing their own thing -
we also have to make sure that license conditions associated with
choosing the online only route meet our minimum criteria.

We had problems with some of our T&F renewals this year - again
they changed their pricing policy to allow the possibility of
online only. We clearly identified to our agent the relevant
titles and requested they be renewed as online only. When we
started receiving the invoices we noticed that several had been
renewed as print/online in error. We've had to chase all the ones
we spotted, which caused a lot of extra work. Even trying to keep
online only journals as online only isn't always as easy as it
should be - I had several Blackwell Publishing titles that had
been online only for several years, when for some reason they
reverted back to standard access in 2005 even though they had
been clearly identified to be renewed as online only. We also
gave instructions to our agent to renew all our Blackwell
publishing titles as online only for 2005 and about 10% of the
titles were renewed by our agent as standard rather than online
only. If we hadn't had a big deal with Blackwell Publishing this
would have meant loss of online access as standard is the most
basic of the subscription formats available from Blackwell. We
also ended up with print copies we didn't want!

Since renewal information from our agent is almost always based
on the current year's pricing policy it doesn't help us too much
in identifying where changes in renewal instructions from
ourselves to our agents may be necessary. It also doesn't help us
identify changes of publisher, because the information will be
based on the current year's publisher. I spend a lot of time
trawling publisher sites trying to prempt these problems when
checking for such pricing policy changes normally in
August/September, but the information isn't always there at the
time that I need it. It is also extremely arduous and
time-consuming, time most of us don't have. In many cases we've
found out later that the publisher had changed their pricing
policy, but that information wasn't available to us at the time
we needed it. That's one of the problems - how do we keep up to
date with publishers pricing policies? We deal with hundreds of
publishers which I'm sure is a situation common to all libraries.
Some even change their policy from year to year. It is an added
complication that journals may move from one publisher to another
one with different pricing policies.

It's all a bit of a nightmare, so I am not surprised by your
observations about what happened to DUP renewals this year.

I hope this all makes sense and that it is helpful to you.

Cheers
Lesley

Lesley Crawshaw, Faculty Information Consultant
Learning and Information Services
University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, AL10 9AB
email: l.a.crawshaw@herts.ac.uk