FW: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors

Scholarly publishers of peer-reviewed journals add value in the
course of investing in the oversight of the process of expert
peer review, and the consequent association of a journal's brand
and reputation (including "rank" by measures such as ISI Impact
Factor) with an author's work. That is transformative value for
the author, who can leverage the published work as proof that the
research conducted was judged to be sufficiently authoritative
and significant as to merit additional grant funding or other
recognition. The additional value that is added by scientific
publishers who undertake copyediting, proofreading, formatting,
and dissemination in print and online (with adherence to
bibliographic and online linking standards that enable reliable
archiving and discovery)is added primarily for the benefit of the
customer and reader, but is also a service to the author.
Publishers do thereby enhance also the accuracy of scientific
communications, as well as provide for information dissemination
and archiving in a fashion that adheres to library and industry
standards.

Barbara J. Meredith
Vice President
Professional/Scholarly Publishing
Association of American Publishers, Inc.
71 Fifth Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10003 USA
Tel: 1-212-255-0200 X223
Fx:  1-212-255-7007