Re: Print-Only Subscription Trend

Hello Kim,

Factors might include:

* Inertia
* Price differential between Duke print or online is small, so no cost
incentive for e-only option
* Price differential for Duke print plus online is significant , so a
cost disincentive applies
* License issues for multi-campus institutions. I know from experience
that Duke University Press can be very reasonable about this,
but it may deter subscribers or be a factor that agents don't
want to (or can't) deal with. It's another matter to deal with
anyway.
* Print copy may be perceived as more secure for long term preservation
and access.
* Humanities and Social Sciences seem less ready to take up e-only and
less dependent on immediate access to new research.

I could only make a guess as to which of the above have greater impact. It may be just the least justifiable reason, inertia.

Neil Renison - Librarian (Acquisitions Services)
Information Resources
James Cook University
Townsville QLD 4811 Australia.
Email: Neil.Renison@jcu.edu.au
Phone: (07) 4781 5073 Fax: (07) 4781 5886