Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors

It is not my intent to be argumentative. I just want some answers
and examples because, in my experience, it most DEFINITELY is NOT
a fact that the paper accepted differs in content from the paper
published, other than print format, UNLESS the editor is
accepting inferior papers. The only difference that I've
experienced in my published papers was a change in a title ONCE
which, frankly, I thought was presumptuous on the journal
editor's part and not as accurate regarding the paper's content.

I have decades of experience in
journalism/masscomm/writing/publishing even PR as well as a
library/information science degree.  I started out in junior
high, continued through high school & college, then as a
newspaper reporter, and have edited/published for my university
and for the American Library Assn. Demands from my husband &
children got me into librarianship because I was never home while
in the business world (but I was so stunned by the way libraries
did business that I resigned 3 times my first year from the
academic library where I was Head of Circulation). I've adjusted
and am now Associate Dean at an ARL library but my commercial
background still rears its head at times. The diffences in the
business world & academia are drastic & even today, there are
times that I'm still appalled at the 'goings-on' in the scholarly
world.

The articles coming across my desk in this career that needed
substantive changes or 'appeared' to include inaccuracies were
rejected with the exceptions of some conference proceedings that
couldn't be rejected and they did need LOTs of editing help. I've
also been invited to apply for the editor positions of College &
Research Libraries and RQ/RUSA Quarterly and refused due to time
constraints. I'm providing this history because I want you to
know that my interests & curiousity are real and I'm not sniping
at anyone. I'd just like some answers that may blow holes in my
current opinion that scholarly publishing is the most profitable
venture going in the world of publishing.

Some of my scientist friends have told me they need help from
editors but the help needed is simplistic -- grammar, spelling,
sentence structure, minor changes that any literate colleague
could provide. It wasn't that they didn't have the skills, they
didn't want to spend their time basically editing their own
articles because it took them away from their labs. You see I've
been intrigued (or horrified) by scholarly publishing from the
time I learned they paid page charges in many of the sciences to
get published -- four decades ago -- and it was not inexpensive.

Since I formerly wrote for a living, I went into shock about
paying to be published (pure vanity press methods to me) to be
followed by further shock when I learned that I was NOT getting
paid by College & Research Libraries for the article my library
director had asked me to do. Any other time, I'd have known the
payment status in advance but I was simply doing him a favor and
expecting to earn a few bucks on ths side. Little did I know.
To this day, I still think authors of papers should be paid. Yes,
it's part of tenure & promotion and I've made it to the Professor
rank myself, but I do not think it's good practice for
academicians. Unfortunately, most have not been that interested
after gaining promotion & tenure until recent journal prices
skyrocketed and began to threaten their research library
collections.

I do know the difference between copy editing and proof reading,
the latter often done by the author when he/she is provided the
proof. In many scientific journals, copy editors do NOT have a
scientific background equivalent to the researcher. How can they
'pick up serious errors' other than house style, grammar, etc.
Journal editors, when confronted, gloss over explaining their
'value-added' arguments claiming they are not really the point.
They ARE the point in view of the horrendous prices some
publishers charge universities for journals that could not exist
without papers submitted by the universities' researchers. And,
who supports the researchers?  The very institutions charged
outragious subscription fees for papers jointly supported by
their institutions and funding agencies so it is VERY important
to have journals' editing tasks and value-added activities
enumerated and justified.

I truly do not mean to be argumentative but it would be a welcome
change to get some straight answers. Please provide some
justification for these claims, or at least examples of the kind
of substantive changes made by journal editors. To me, the only
added value I have seen, & it's a superb addition, is the linking
of references to the full-text articles. That truly is a service
but it's a mechanical one. I have a couple of colleagues, both
scientists, who serve as editors and are well-paid for having
their names listed as editors, but they can't justify the
'value-added' arguments made by the publishers of their work. I'm
very curious about this.  Could some of the editors on this
listserv provide those answers please?  They may help those of us
advocating open access to better understand why so many editors
of scholarly publishing oppose it -- other than financial gain.

Jane Kleiner
Associate Dean of Libraries for Collection Services
The LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University
E-Mail: jkleiner@lsu.edu

________________________

"Anthony Watkinson" <anthony.watkinson@btopenworld.com>@lists.yale.edu on
07/07/2006 07:26:17 PM

Subject: Re: Maximising research access vs. minimizing
copy-editing errors

I rest my case. I am just making the point that the paper
accepted by the editor of a journal is not the same as the paper
published in the journal and that the difference is not just a
matter of formatting. This is fact. We can all of us put this
into a wider context but I would have thought that we had heard
Professor Harnad's views very often. All his remarks are very
splendid but this does not alter the incorrectness of the
assertion I quoted.

Anthony Watkinson