RE: No fault non-archiving.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, David Goodman wrote:

> Stevan,
>
> Paracite seems to be a very useful front end to Google
> Scholar-, and now that I see how well it works, I will
> certainly use it.
>
> But, Stevan, are you prepared to say that GS (and thus
> Paracite) links to everything that is available OA?  If so, I'd
> like to see the data that justifies your conclusion.

David, no, not yet (but Google probably does).

> If not , what do you recommend as supplementing it--and if
> you've found any two or three services that between them do
> link to all the OA, I'd like to see that data-- not what they
> ideally ought to find, but what they do find.

The priority today is getting the missing 85% of OA target
content to be self-archived, not to improve the access to the
piddling 15%! It's trivial to improve the services once we get
the content, but nontrivial to get the content (as you see from
the years that have already dragged on, needlessly). Let's hope
the mandates will spread and at last do the trick.

> This is not meant as a criticism of any of the excellent
> services and indexes from various sources--long may they
> flourish, and long may they improve the standard isn't
> perfection, but rather the standard reached by the commercial
> services covering the concentional literature. .

You're putting the cart before the horse...

Chrs, S