No fault non-archiving.

I get several reprint requests for papers I published in
Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders which is not on PubMed.
Does anybody know how the people who request them would find a
self-archived version if I made it available?  I don't know how
to find other self-archived papers except by contacting the
author (which is frequently faster than going to their website
and looking for an archive).  So I think I am only at fault if I
know that self-archiving will help.

Does self-archiving actually help anybody?  How many researchers
know how to find author-archived material?  This is a question,
not a challenge. Why self-archive if nobody can find the MS?

  Also, the fact that I am not supposed to put up the final pdf is
so infuriating that I doubt I would do it anyway -- somebody tell
me with a straight face that the value added in turning a MS into
a pdf is in any way comparable to the value of the content of the
MS.

And then there is the idea that every time you self-archive you
are making a statement that the purpose of the publisher is to
restrit access to your work which you may be able to overcome.

RF

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry