Re: practical solution

Jane has the right idea. Libraries are the wrong place to put
this responsibility -- for a whole set of reasons.

The problem with author fees is simple.  Higher education
requires publication from faculty as a condition of employment.
Making faculty pay these fees as individuals is making them have
to pay for the privilege of being employed.  I think this is
called a kickback.

If universities want to require publication they need to budget
for these fees and pay them. It's simply a cost of doing business
like the heat or the water. Personally, I'm on the opinion this
ought to be centrally budgeted rather than coming out of the
library line because central administrations are better equipped
to deal with financial obligations that are spread all over
campus -- as well as being the people administering grants and
contracts -- which, arguably, is where alot of these fees should
be coming from.

Karl Bridges
Associate Professor
Information and Instruction Services