practical solution

Did I mention author-side payment?.  If there is infinite money
there are no payments from anybody but... If you insist on a
practical solution let me explain what it will be like:

There will be a central publishing organization that will provide
money for publishing scholarly articles.  The publishing process
will be streamlined and well understood and because it will be
basically running a website, will not be hugely expensive.
Journals can apply to the CPO (the way individuals and
organizations apply for research grants) and they can receive
money on a cost plus basis (with a cap).

The money for the CPO will come from government agencies who will
use the per centage of their funds that they had previously used
for publishing.  The money will come also from libraries
who,while in effect buying publications for the world, will see
it as their basic mission.  The money will come from corporations
who had previously subscribed to technical journals.  The money
will come from private foundations and individuals who are
overwhelmed with the prospect of being part of the publishing
revolution that brings open access to the world.  The money will
come from Societies who will be expected to contribute something
for publication of their journals. Publishers will have to be
happy with a normal (but more reliable) income. Editors will have
to get lower salaries but mostly everybody will be happier.

Now before you rush off to think of a million things that are
wrong with this proposal try to focus on one or two aspects that
might be developed in a positive way because, taking previous
comments for a yes, this is what we all want.  Especially see if
here isn't some aspect of this that could be implemented in an
approximate way right away.  Whaddaya say? RF

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry

<Toby.GREEN@oecd.org>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
06/27/06 09:25 PM
Please respond to
liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject RE: Take it all for a yes, and on to Q.2a.

Richard,

While doing some coppicing last weekend, I thought about your
question 1 and realised there was another answer - if there is an
unlimited amount of money available, why not give it to readers
so they can buy what they need without any limits? This would
give the same result as unlimited author-side payments but not
disrupt the current publishing system.

Now, Q2a - I think the question would be more interesting if you
looked outside the relatively well-funded area of biomedical
research where it is well known that publishing costs are only a
small proportion of total funding (the same being true in physics
and other 'big' sciences). Why not try economics or education or
any of the social sciences or humanities where research funding
is limited?

Toby