Re: PLoS Financial Analysis

"...the line between submission and publication continues to narrow."

While this may be true in physical sciences and mathematics, it is
definitely not true of medicine (the subject that drives much of OA). In
medicine, there is zero acceptance of the kind of successive approximations
model of publishing of which arXiv is an example.

Thus, for medicine at least, Sally is on target. OA is a money pit.