Re: PLoS Financial Analysis

I'm with Anthony on this.  With all the crowing over PLOS's
problems, you would think we live in a cornfield.  PLOS, like
BioMedCentral, seem to me to be an experiment worth studying.  I
would have preferred if PLOS's management were a tad less
arrogant and self-righteous in their assertions, but they have
put together an editorially distinguished program, which is not
easy regardless of the method of funding.  My problem with PLOS
from the beginning has been that the model doesn't scale.  You
may be able to fund one program like this, maybe even dozens, but
it is not something that can extend to the 24,000 peer-reviewed
journals.  But I hope PLOS will su succeed, even if the Moore
Foundation continues to underwrite the program indefinitely.

Joe Esposito