Re: PLoS Financial Analysis

Actually, the evidence suggests that PLoS is not moving in a
positive direction and that it will never be able to survive
without continuing grant support.

While fee income and advertising revenues rose from $750K to
$900K over the past two years, costs rose from $1.5 million to
$5.5 million. Were this a commercial start up, investors would be
bailing out just about now.

Of course, it's fine if PLoS plans to survive largely on grants
from the Moore Foundation and other sources. But no one should
pretend that PLoS's business model, if it can even be said to
have one, is applicable anywhere else.