RE: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences

I am writing to respond to the queries about backfiles for journals
which transferred to Blackwell Publishing in 2006.  The issue of
transferring journals, including backfiles, access rights, subscriber
lists, and timely communication is a complex one, and one for which
there are currently no standard procedures or policies which apply
across different publishing arrangements.  To address this, we have
initiated the TRANSFER group under the auspices of the United Kingdom
Serials Group (http://www.uksg.org/transfer.asp).  The group, involving
librarians, publishers and agents, was formed this March and is
currently working on devising some proposals for a widely agreed Code of
Practice.  These will then be presented to a panel of librarians and
publishers for broader discussion and fine-tuning.  Nancy Buckley, who
chairs the group, will be presenting the results from the consultation
process at the Charleston Conference in November.  The goal of the
TRANSFER Code of Practice that results is that there will be greater
clarity when journals transfer publishers, a reduced administrative
burden for librarians and seamless access for readers and researchers.

If you have any specific questions about Blackwell Publishing journals,
please contact Blackwell directly via your Account Manager, customer
services, journal.news@blackwellpublishing.com, or myself.  We will aim
to include information about the backfiles for transferring journals in
our bimonthly Librarian Newsletter in future.  To sign up for the
newsletter, please visit http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/librarians

Here is information regarding the specific journals that have been
raised on liblicense:

- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/nyas

Blackwell intends to offer all NYAS volumes back to and including the
1997 volumes as part of a premium or online only subscription.
Currently all 1998 to current volumes are available on Blackwell Synergy
and offered as part of this subscription.  We will be posting the 1997
volumes soon.  Highwire has a few of the 1997 available in PDF.
Highwire also has some selected abstracts of pre-1997 NYAS volumes but
there is no full text.  Blackwell's plan is to digitize all NYAS
pre-1997 back files in a phased approach and to include these in its
digitized backfiles sales program. Highwire will not be hosting these
pre-1997 volumes.  Libraries which have links to individual volumes on
Highwire from 1997 to 2005 do not have to change their links to
Blackwell Synergy, but they might wish to consider doing this so that
the user has access to the full run of content on one site.

- The Journal of Rural Health
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/jrh

The online version of this journal goes back to 2004 on Blackwell
Synergy, as it did on the previous publisher's site.  Content back to
2000 continues to be available on the Ovid platform.  We intend to
digitize the backfiles for this title and post them on Blackwell
Synergy.  We will let you know through the Librarian Newsletter when
this is available.

- Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/loi/cid

We are currently working on transferring the format of the files that we
received from the previous publisher for this title.  We do apologize
that you have lost access on the previous publisher's site.  We are
working on this as a priority and hope to get the backfiles posted on
Blackwell Synergy as soon as possible.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,
Emily

Emily Gillingham
Library Marketing and Communications Manager
Blackwell Publishing
Email: emily.gillingham@oxon.blackwellpublishing.com