Re: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences

Related to the topic...

I am finding more problems with other titles recently transferred to
Blackwell. Newsletter announcements don't promise anything other than
content from the first issue of the new year.

Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences is the fortunate example of
content being available for users at two sites and only one year of PDF
(1997) not overlapping-at least for now.

New to Blackwell, the Journal of Rural Health has current and two years
of backfiles only; according to customer service they don't plan on

Also new is Clinical Implant Dentistry with only two issues; we've lost
all content available previously at the former publisher - getting an
access denied message.  I've contacted customer service; I've received
autoreply; I haven't gotten a response.

Several weeks ago there was an announcement on liblicense-l with the
subject "UKSG: Improving Procedures for Journals Transferring Between
Publishers." The chair is from Blackwell Publishing. Of course there's
also been transferring of content from Elsevier to Nature, from Ovid to
Elsevier, etc. Blackwell seems to be much slower in getting content up
than these other publishers. Most are late with transfer announcements
but I would expect the transferred content to be on the new publisher's
site within a reasonable time thereafter.

We're trying to maintain the integrity of our catalogs, A to Z lists,
etc. but publisher transfers are making it very hard to have all of the
"appropriate copy" information accurate. Until we activate SFX, we have
to make corrections in multiple locations. These issues are very
important to workflow in any library, but particularly in small ones
where librarians have a variety of roles.

Gail C. Anderson, A.M.L.S., AHIP
Associate Professor, Library, Academic Affairs and Serials Librarian
Medical College of Georgia Greenblatt Library
AB-205 Content Management, Electronic Resources
Augusta, GA 30912-4400
ganderso@mail.mcg.edu
706/721-9906
706/721-2018 fax

>>> cahamake@email.uncc.edu 06/21/06 9:41 PM >>>
We've received notification from Blackwell publishing that they
now publish this title. However backfiles at least right now, are
still on Highwire, where we have linked the individual volumes.
Does anyone know if Highwire will maintain the backfiles or are
we dependent now on the Blackwell site for backfiles and the
additional fees they charge for backfile access? Will Highwire
redirect to Blackwells at some time in the future, or will we all
have to change very single volume's links?

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223