Re: arithmetic, Re: PLoS New Fee Structure

I have come in at the end of this correspondence so I may have
missed something. I did not receive the postings on this list for
a period due to computer malfunction: some may have appreciated
that.

However I did read Peter Suber's comments in his newsletter and
felt that he really was twisting the evidence - to my surprise.

I have been a publisher of scholarly journals since 1971 working
for UK publishers or the UK branch of North American publishers.
I never been responsible for a journal that charged page charges.
Page charges have always been the special province of US learned
society publishers and their subscription rates have reflected
this.

I do not think that I have ever been responsible for a journal
that charged for excess pages but I might have been. It is a way
of fitting in more papers if the journal is really popular with
authors. It complements an increase in the rejection rate which
can become too high for the good of the journal. If the rejection
rate is too high some authors stop submitting.

I have definitely been responsible for journals which charge
colour charges. I do not like such charges. No charges that
prevent the author putting forward his or her "message" in an
optimal form is a good thing.

For publishers outside the US and indeed any interest in
attracting international authors, any charge cuts down the range
of authors and discourages and even prevents some authors from
offering their papers. Surely this is obvious whether or not the
journal is OA.

Anthony Watkinson