RE: Q 1. on OA

Maybe the Q. wasn't phrased well.  I am trying to propose a
thought experiment.  Suppose there were all the money needed to
get what ever publishing model one wanted, that miraculously we
could pay for whatever quality is needed.  Is there then any
argument that OA is not an ideal. You can say the ideal is not
practical or it will never happen, or whatever. I am only trying
to settle the difference between a best case and the practical
barriers to that goal.  Net income is financial benefit no matter
how messianic the ultimate disposition of the money is.

So, rephrasing: if money were freely available from whatever
sources, is there any argument against OA?  Not money is never
freely available, but if it were freely available, Gedanken
Experiment, if you like.  You, know, frictionless pulley, freely
reversible chemical reaction, totally altruistic society,
whatever.

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry

__________

"Lisa Dittrich" <lrdittrich@aamc.org>
06/18/06 08:47 AM

Yes--our journal "benefits" only in the sense that any income we
make somewhat offsets our associations significant investment in
the costs of running our journal (and we are now published--but
not owned--by a commercial publisher).  We provide excellent
services to our authors (who routinely praise us for the
substantive editing we do) and keep our subscription prices low.
We charge no authors fees, and few of our authors are subsidized
by grants from the government or anyone else. They therefore
would likely balk at being charged any kind of fee should we move
to all OA.  Should we move to OA, my guess is that our
association would (reasonably) decide that we should simply let
the publisher take over all copyediting (which they do a rather
poor job of) and that I let go of many of the high-quality
dedicated staff members who have contributed to making our
journal the high-quality journal it has become over the course of
the past 17 or so years (in the name of cost savings, since they
would completely subsidize the journal).  You might say this is
the cost of the "greater good."

I say if I want quality, I pay for quality.  If an artist writes
a novel or paints a painting using funding from a government arts
agency, I don't think I should get that work for free.  You might
argue that, well, the journal is "stealing" the researchers'
works.  Well, no--I and my staff are adding value that costs time
and money, too, for which we deserve compensation.

Why no one seems to get this is beyond me.  Let researchers post
their research to blogs if free and fast access is all that is
needed.  If what journals add is so worthless and if we are so
evil, then let us die off.

anyway, to return to your original question--we make no profit.
And I, as managing editor and speaking only for myself and not
for my association, am entirely opposed to OA.

Lisa

Is there anyone who is opposed to OA who does not benefit
financially from the current system?

Richard D. Feinman, Professor of Biochemistry