RE: arithmetic, Re: PLoS New Fee Structure

Dr. Goodman is correct.

The data I compiled for "Institutional journal costs in an Open
Access environment" show that the average page charge paid by the
authors at nine colleges/universities in general biology, cell
biology, organic chemistry, and applied physics from 1999 through
2003 was $271 per article.  Counting only those journals that
levied page charges, the average charge was $570.

(These data include page charges, extra-page charges, and the
submission fees charged by just a few of the journals.  They do
not include charges for color figures.  My study includes only
those Source Journals covered by Science Citation Index.  The
nine schools are Michigan, Brandeis, Florida International, St.
Bonaventure, Peru State, Grinnell, West Virginia Wesleyan,
Augustana, and Old Westbury.  See
http://www.library.millersville.edu/public_html/walters/journal_costs.pdf
  for methodological details.)

I agree that the new PLoS fee of $2,500 is still reasonable,
however -- especially for PLoS Biology and PLoS Medicine.

Bill

William H. Walters, PhD
Assistant Professor of Librarianship
Collection Development Librarian