From: ""FrederickFriend"" <ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 12:56 AM
Subject: A good future for society journals?

The SSP Conference in Arlington last week left me both optimistic and pessimistic about the future for society journals. The Conference presentations and discussions demonstrated the strength of society journals in respect of the service they provide to their communities. The value of that service is pure academic gold and in my optimistic moments I feel that the journals will not be allowed to disappear. However, I worry that the strategies adopted by the publishing community are increasing the risk to the society journals rather than reducing the risk. The fear seems to be of declining library subscriptions caused by readers' use of Google to access repository content, and the response to that risk seems to be either to attract more readers to the publisher's site, or to ally a society's journals with those of one of the major publishers. My view is that neither of these strategies provides long-term security for a society's journals and does not use the strength of the societies' value to their communities.

Libraries may or may not cancel subscriptions because of repository content, but readers will go to whichever site provides them with the information they need with the least expenditure of time or money. Most readers are unlikely to be influenced by the promise of the "official" version with added features. I am sorry to be brutal but publishers' use of this strategy to avoid cancellations does not have a high chance of success. Likewise a society's decision to place their journal within the stable of a larger publisher may provide a few years' security, but as the major publishers increase their institutional prices to reflect the growing number of journals in their bundle, the greater the risk that those bundles themselves will be cancelled, leaving a society's journals exposed. There is no safety in numbers.

The reason that all of this is so important to society publishers is that their current business model depends upon library subscriptions. The advantage to societies of the open access business model is that it can re-focus their priorities away from selling content towards providing services to the community to which they belong and where their strength lies. The author community and the funding agency community are the best guarantee for the future of society journals, which would provide good value under a publication-charge OA business model. I would regain confidence in the future of society journals if I saw more evidence of strategies which use society journals' strength in their own community rather than their weakness in the community of Google users.

Fred Friend
JISC Scholarly Communication Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk