arithmetic, Re: PLoS New Fee Structure

The posting cannot mean:

> The new prices compare favorably with the fees that authors
> often pay to publish their work in traditional journals
> (between $1000-$3000 ..).

because it is not true that $2500 is less than an average of
$1000-$3000.

Further, since most publishers, including the largest ones, ask
no publication charge at all, and a few who do charge, have the
fee less than $1000, the range should have been given as
$0-$3000. The use of "often" makes a valid quantitative
comparison impossible unless a more exact average were taken,
corrected for at least the type and length of the article, and
the subject field of the journal.

Perhaps the posting meant that non-commercial OA journals are
slightly less expensive than commercial OA or OA Choice
publishers-- $2500 is less than e.g, Springer's $3000. Regardless
of significance, that at least has the arithmetic correct.

I do not mean to imply that publishing an article OA in a PLoS
journal is not worth the $2500. I think it certainly is, and that
they do not need to use evasive language and dubious numbers to
make their case.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University