ScholarlyStats and Thomson Scientific announce successful SUSHI te=

st for University of Melbourne
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:13:48 EDT
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

Following recent discussion on this list about ScholarlyStats, I
said that I would let you know about development work that we are
carrying out to integrate usage statistics data for our users
with other library systems.  I thought that you might be
interested to see this information about a successful test of
data transfer for the University of Melbourne from ScholarlyStats
to Thomson Scientific's Journal Use Reports using the SUSHI
protocol.

Best wishes,

Martha Sedgwick
Product Manager - ScholarlyStats
MPS Technologies

*

ScholarlyStats and Thomson Scientific announce successful SUSHI
test for University of Melbourne

12th June 2006

MPS Technologies and Thomson Scientific have successfully
completed the transfer of data between their two systems, using
the SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative,
sponsored by NISO) protocol. This joint initiative came in
response to the growing demand for more in-depth usage analysis,=
as well as the continuing need to ease the time consuming process
of managing vendor usage statistics.

The recent test successfully provided the University of Melbourne
with usage data for 21 vendors, automatically transferred by MPS
Technologies into Thomson Scientific's Journal Use Reports (JUR)
system using the XML SUSHI protocol.  SUSHI allows completely
automated request and delivery of usage reports, saving time and
resources for the library.  The ScholarlyStats usage statistics
will be complemented by local publication and citation activity
data from the JUR, providing the University of Melbourne with
unique, in-depth analyses of how journals are being used at their
library.

The University of Melbourne library already relies on
ScholarlyStats for their monthly collection of journal and
database usage reports, and has been working with Thomson
Scientific to develop the new Journal Use Reports.  Shirley
Sullivan, Electronic Information Coordinator, said "Analyzing and
understanding usage statistics is key to decision making within
our library.  With the integration of these two systems we have
the benefits of the ScholarlyStats dashboard reports, and the
integration of the valuable Impact Factor and publication
information from Journal Use Reports.  This will help us make the
decisions that count."

"Thomson Scientific and MPS Technologies have had similar goals,
trying to ease the pain points in bringing usage data to the
libraries," said Reynold Guida, Director of Product Development.
"Using the SUSHI protocol to help integrate these two data sets
seemed the logical next step."

Jayne Marks, CEO of Global Operations at MPS Technologies said
"We are delighted that we will be able to further enhance the
analysis of usage statistics for our customers through this
successful collaboration."

About the University of Melbourne Library

The University of Melbourne Information Services supports the
research, teaching, learning and administration needs of the 6000
staff and 42,000 students of the University. Founded in 1853, the
University is one of Australia's oldest and largest universities.
It is a leading research-intensive, comprehensive, institution,
with an international profile through its reputation for
scholarship and teaching. It is a member of the Group of Eight
Australian research intensive universities (www.go8.edu.au/) and
a founding member of Universitas 21 (www.universitas21.com
<http://www.universitas21.com/> ) an international federation of
universities.

www.lib.unimelb.edu.au <http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/>

About MPS Technologies and ScholarlyStats

MPS Technologies, provides a range of technology-driven services
specifically designed to support libraries and publishers. These
services include web analytics, fulfillment services and content
delivery.  MPS Technologies is part of the Macmillan group of
companies and has offices in London, Boston, New York,
Basingstoke, Hamburg and Delhi.

ScholarlyStats provides libraries across the globe with
consolidated vendor usage statistics.  ScholarlyStats collects,
standardizes and consolidates journal and database usage reports,=
providing libraries with a single point of access to their=
valuable usage data.

www.mpstechnologies.com <http://www.mpstechnologies.com/>
www.scholarlystats.com <http://www.scholarlystats.com/>

About Thomson Scientific and Journal Use Reports

Thomson Scientific's Journal Use Reports will launch in July 2006
to provide libraries with a 360 degree view of usage within libraries,
combining information on vendor journal usage with publication
and citation activity customized for any institution.  Thomson
Scientific is also a Committee Member of, and Contributing
Partner for, the NISO-SUSHI Committee.

The Thomson Corporation (www.thomson.com
<http://www.thomson.com/> ), with 2005 revenues of approximately
$8.5 billion, is a global leader in providing integrated
information solutions to business and professional customers.
Thomson provides value-added information, software tools and
applications to more than 20 million users in the fields of law,
tax, accounting, financial services, higher education, reference
information, corporate e-learning and assessment, scientific
research and healthcare. With operational headquarters in
Stamford, Conn., Thomson has approximately 40,500 employees and
provides services in approximately 130 countries. The
Corporation's common shares are listed on the New York and
Toronto stock exchanges (NYSE: TOC; TSX: TOC).

Thomson Scientific is a business of The Thomson Corporation. Its
information solutions assist professionals at every stage of
research and development-from discovery to analysis to product
development and distribution. Thomson scientific information
solutions can be found at www.scientific.thomson.com
<http://www.scientific.thomson.com/> .

www.thomson.com/scientific

Press Release:  Melbourne (Australia), London (UK) and Philadelphia (US)

Media Contacts
MPS Technologies
Rupert Bacon
r.bacon@mpstechnologies.com