Re: Speaking of beefing up publications...

Professor Feinman's deconstruction of Sharon Begley's article on manipulating impact factor adds to the discussion, but I don't understand the need for the sneering remarks concerning Mary Ann Liebert and Vicki Cohn. Really, what have these women done except answer a reporter's questions?

Joe Esposito

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Feinman" <RFeinman@downstate.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:21 PM
Subject: Speaking of beefing up publications...

Sharon Begley has made an article out of n=1. "Dr. West was asked to cite more studies that had appeared in the respiratory journal" The rest of the article does not have another example. Below are quotations from the article of people who have suspicions of somebody else but don't do the practice themselves (italics); my comments in bold. One person is quoted as having been asked to make inappropriate changes; everything else is unsubstantiated. Was this article about anything? Where is the evidence that this of any significance? IF is not a particularly good thing in my view and is probably less important than anecdotally perceived prestige of journals, but this is real throw away journalism.

I don't usually read the WSJ but I remember they were able to "Artfully Try To Boost Their Rankings" by picking up the story that Dr. Atkins was obese at death without checking sources or asking if maybe he had been on television the week before and was seen to not be obese. Journalism is a wonderful thing. "What, the article was not about anything? I'm sorry, tomorrow's edition is already out."

Martin Frank, executive director of the American Physiological Society, which publishes 14 journals, is that "we have become whores to the impact factor." He adds that his society doesn't engage in these practices.

One strategy is to publish many review articles, says Vicki Cohn, managing editor of Mary Ann Liebert Inc., a closely held New Rochelle, N.Y., company that publishes 59 journals? "Journal editors know how to increase their impact factor legitimately," says Ms. Cohn. "But there is growing suspicion that journals are using nefarious means to pump it up."

But presumably she doesn't mean that she does this.
[SNIP]